ISO easy way to set up a website

Need tech help? Willing to offer tech help? Either way, post here.

Moderator: jecris27

Alyssa G.

ISO easy way to set up a website

Post by Alyssa G. »

Hello one and all! I've been working on something for WFOL (ok, more than one something, LOL), but for one of them I've been thinking that I would like to set up a new website or blog page or something of that sort. The glitch is that I'm not very tech savvy. I'm much better than I used to be, but I'd still need something fairly user friendly. I know there are sites that are supposed to be fairly easy to use for this sort of thing, but I could use some suggestions.

If it helps, I have an old tumblr account, and I can handle that ok, so that level of difficulty or a bit higher would be fine. I don't know coding, so it can't be anything that needs that. I don't need anything fancy, just something where I can post things, link to other things, and have an area where (ideally) people can post comments, responses, etc. that can be seen by others.

Suggestions, anyone?

Thanks - Alyssa
jecris27
Site Admin

Re: ISO easy way to set up a website

Post by jecris27 »

Batbland is hosted at godaddy, but we've never used any of its website builder tools.

PC Magazine has reviewed a number of hosting providers. http://www.pcmag.com/products/1616 You could perhaps read some of the highly-rated ones and see if the features mentioned match your needs.

Also, some people find that a blogging service meets their needs. See Janet's site and her reviews: http://janetrivenbark.blogspot.com/
CaroleW

Re: ISO easy way to set up a website

Post by CaroleW »

Alyssa, you might want to look into Wordpress or Blogger, no coding knowledge or special software necessary. Janet's essay that J'ecris referenced is a really good reference tool.

Carole
Site Admin

Also this FORUM is a possibility

Post by 222333 »

Alyssa wrote:
I would like to set up a new website or blog page or something of that sort.
That is certainly a wonderful option, as it enlarges the panorama of B&B "places" in the web, something I personally warmly encourage. And Carole and other websites owners are generously offering to host wfol material for those who are more skilled in producing contents than playing with tech.

I would also add, as a third viable option, that this very forum is a possibility, if very simple and plain. No whistles and bells, but it's possible "to post things, link to other things, and have an area where (ideally) people can post comments, responses, etc. that can be seen by others" as Alyssa's asked.

If there is interest enough in this third option, we could open a dedicated "space" in this forum. Speak up.

Ciao,
S

Return to “Help - tech”