Inverno 2013 Comments

Zara

Inverno 2013 Comments

Post by Zara »

Inverno2013 Comments

S 16Jan2013
Yes, this is the Italian way of doing punctuation. AFTER the quotation marks, which are considered as a part of the sentence. Have fun!

Z 16Jan2013
:) Fun is had. I love the pictures here, by the way. Great expressions on all the characters! ~Z

Z 19Jan2013
:) Una domanda su questa linea: Poi quando Eric le ha raccontato del nuovo ingresso vicino al suo appartamento ha solo fissato la candela". Mi puoi dire la differenza tra fissò e fissato? Grazie! ~Z

S 20Jan2013
"Una domanda su questa RIGA". Il resto è perfetto. Risposta: Come ti ho detto, i tempi sono difficili da spiegare, e io non sono un'insegnante di italiano.Ti posso dire che in questo caso il passato remoto (fissò) dà l'impressione di un momento singolo, mentre il passato prossimo (ha fissato) dà più l'impressione di un momento prolungato nel tempo, come sembra che abbia fatto la signora Tina. Inoltre, nell'italiano colloquiale, come quello che probabilmente parlano i ragazzini, si tende a usare poco il passato remoto. Il passato remoto si deve invece usare nella narrazione (Padre disse, sorrisero, risposero eccetera). Mi dispiace non poterti aiutare con delle regole più precise. Come ti ho detto, è questione di orecchio e abitudine.

Z 20Jan2013
Tuo lodi rendermi arrossire. Non mi danno troppo merito. Sono perso senza i miei libri. (My beginner's grammar book tells me to use "i miei" with "books" to match the plural noun!) Ma grazie, amica. ~Z

S 20Jan2013
LE TUE lodi MI FANNO arrossire. Non DARMI troppo merito. Sono PERSA senza i miei libri. Yes, "i miei".

Z 20Jan2013
Ho posizionato la casella di testo per una migliore lettura sullo schermo. ~Z

S 20Jan2013
Grazie, meglio!

S 20Jan2013
Immagino che tu abbia usato "vostra lettera" anzichè "tua lettera" in segno di rispetto. È una scelta personale, poichè in inglese non c'è il Tu o il Lei o il Voi. Io credo che i ragazzi diano del Tu a Padre.

Z 23Jan2013
Sì. Rispetto. Così in una famiglia ... e in questa famiglia ... un bambino utilizza il Tu informale per un genitore? ~Z

Z 23Jan2013
Grazie per *corsero*. Sono stato perplesso per tanto tempo, cercando di sapere come scriverò. Hmmm. *Scriverlo*? ~Z

Z 24Jan2013
Molti pronomi! Il mio umile sforzo attende le tue correzioni. ~Z

S 24Jan2013
Not many, after all. Congratulations!

Z 24Jan2013
Due questioni: 1) I was not sure if there is a common way to refer to a retirement or nursing home for the elderly. 2) And how is it best to say, "La signora Tina told Sebastian"...? Grazie! ~Z

S 24Jan2013
1) Casa di riposo è perfetto. 2) La signora Tina ha detto a Sebastian. - or - with passato remoto: 2) La signora Tina disse a Sebastian. In this case, inside the dialogue, "ha detto" is better. and - the verb "dire" is not transitivo, it needs a preposizione, that is, "dire a" somebody = Io dico A te che ti voglio bene. Tu dici A me che sei felice. And, there is no difference between say and tell, in general. There are other verbs that can translate specific nuances, such as - raccontare, but I think that if you see that you could use the corresponding English verb instead of tell - recount, narrate, reveal and so on, you can safely use such corresponding verb in Italian - raccontare, narrare, rivelare etc.

S 24Jan2013
And.. Question is DOMANDA. QUESTIONE has the "matter" flavor: È una questione di gusti = it's a matter of tastes.

Z 25Jan2013
Grazie. Sei fantastico! ~Z

Z 25Jan2013
The story idea arrived in my mind as I was writing. I thought, What is her health problem, and why did Vincent delay in speaking to Father? The muse answered: A problem for which there is no cure, that they already know she has. My imagination sifted facts and found arthritis waiting. Next: So what has made her so sad that it increases her emotional suffering? Muse: What conflicts afflict many elderly people in the 1980s? My logical mind: Family. They want something she does not want for herself. Conclusion: una casa di riposo. So there's a little glimpse of how the story forms inside my thought-process. Just thought I'd share. ~Z

Z 25Jan2013
No, this was not on purpose, although your comment here has me giggling uncontrollably. I have a knack for wandering into weird territory. Grazie mille per le spiegazioni! Farò una pagina pulita. ~Z

S 30Jan2013
Oh... this is a very sad thing for Vincent to say.... I like to think that he always keeps a hopeful eye on things, including the world above.

Z 1Feb2013
Pensi che Vincent dovrebbe dire senza la frase difficile, o enfatizzare "illusioni"? ~Z

S 13Feb2013
Penso che direbbe la frase meno complicata: Credo che mi rimangano sempre meno illusioni con ogni anno che passa.

Z 1Feb2013
I wish to say THANK YOU! And although you do not name yourself so, I am finding you a very helpful and informative teacher. I also wish to say that your guidance with "stammi bene" has answered a troublesome question for me. My beginning grammar book has a "common phrases" section, but I know ordinary speech usually does not match phrase book language. Such is the case here. ~Z

Z 16Feb2013
Insegnante: C'è un altro modo affettuoso e rispettoso per Vincent di chiamare il suo amata insegnante? ~Z

S 20Feb2013
--> di chiamare LA SUA amata insegnante. * No, sorry, I can't think of any, involving her role.

S 20Feb2013
Pò - this is an usual mistake for Italians, like IT'S / ITS for English people. The correct way is PO', with apostrophe, because it's a part of the word POCO, and apostrophe, like in English, is to mark that a part of the word is missing. Like in your -- OL' -- for -- OLD.

Z 22Feb2013
Got it. Thanks! ~Z

S 20Feb2013
I don't understand exactly what you mean in the underlined parts. I guess: "And now I see by myself WHY " (?); in the second sentence, it's LUMINOSO that I don't understand. Luminoso means luminous, related to light. Do you mean "While her luminous happines faded, the old woman nodded"?

Z 22Feb2013
The first problem sentence is meant to communicate: "And now I see for myself that you are indeed troubled." The "luminous" image is meant to indicate that her happiness was bright but becoming dim, as she realizes that others are worrying about her. Perhaps it is not needed and I should simply say "her happiness". ~Z

S 22Feb2013
Ok, got it and fixed accordingly.

Z 22Feb2013
As the kids would say, you rock. Thank you! ~Z

S 20Feb2013
ANZIANO - ANZIANA is more respectful than VECCHIO - VECCHIA

Z 22Feb2013
Again, thank you! This is important to know! ~Z

Z 22Feb2013
Biscotti con la Nutella: S, I need that recipe. Heavens, it sounds good! Hungry now, ~Z

S 22Feb2013
I dont' have a cooking bone in me. I am just an excellent eater. But a research "biscotti con la nutella" will take you to dozens of recipes. They are pretty popular here (you just put Nutella as filling in any cookie you are baking, basically), and "Tina" is an old Italian name...

Z 23Feb2013
Lovely. I shall have to do a little research then and see if I can create a whole foods vegetarian adaptation of the recipe. I'd call it "Biscotti Leggendari con la Nutella della Signora Tina"! Is that how you would phrase such a title? ~Z

Z 24Feb2013
E 'corretto dire il nome di un luogo in lingua originale? Nel "Village" di New York? ~Z

Z 02Mar2013
Nuance di cultura si riflette nella lingua. Grazie per queste istruzioni! ~Z

Z 06Mar2013
Eccellente! Un posto perfetto per un cambio di scena. ~Z

S 16Mar2013
Well, I'm a playwright, after all... smiiile. Thank you!

S 16Mar2013
Here I don't understand exaclty what you mean, so I don't know how to correct.. Below are my guesses.

Z 16Mar2013
And I thank you for your guesswork! Yes, I like "Ha trovato"... That feels right to me. ~Z

S 16Mar2013
I think you mean that she is afraid to hope in general. A more clear way to say it is: "ma ora trova difficile sperare".

Z 16Mar2013
Yes, afraid to hope, and I was trying to convey a sense that her outlook is brittle, that what hope she has is in danger of breaking completely. Does "difficult to hope," difficile sperare, carry that connotation? ~Z

S 20Mar2013
Non capisco bene cosa intendi nelle parti sottolineate. Il discorso è corretto e comprensibile semplicemente rimuovendole.

Z 20Mar2013
Allora è meglio rimuoverli. Io sono spesso buoni a fare complicazioni inutili. ~Z

S 20Mar2013
"Fest" è "festa", femminile, quindi penso che sia più corretto dire ALLA Winterfest.

Z 20Mar2013
Ah. Grazie. ~Z

Z 21Mar2013
I have been thinking about this...so, to take a moment to check in with you, do we desire to attempt a plot that seeks to bring Tina and Sebastian together? Is this la magia dell'amore Catherine is speaking of? I ask because we have explored the dear teacher's troubles, but not yet the freespirited magician's. Talking through the characters and their possibilities would help me formulate story ideas. ~Z

S 22Mar2013
You know, one of the facets of this dueling I like best is precisely that I don't know what happens next... like in real life. I can tell you that "Catherine" is thinking that the dear old lady needs hope, something to look forward to. Not necessarily matchmaking, but helping her to focusing on the good sides of her life which exist anyway, although the situation and the elder-ness often blur such good sides. Sebastian, is one of such good sides, also thanks to his extrovert self - but he could offer surprises, according to what Vincent says. What "Catherine" has in mind now is just to involve Sebastian in Tina's emotional rescue. And then, as we say n Italy, "Se son rose, fioriranno". --- I miss you dear friend. I hope I can find a way to bring some kind of order in this frantic life of mine. Easter time and celebrations won't help, but after, I hope to be able to press the brake pedal...

Z 23Mar2013
*hugs* And I wish you all the best in your balancing act. But thank you for better insight into "Catherine's" thought process. Her words about magic have so much potential for action, but I admit I worried for a moment that you meant a forray into matchmaking. I should know better by now; I believe your respect for characters would not truly lead us there. That was me not understanding the language, I think. And also my discomfort with stories where friends try to meddle where it is not really their place to do so. I am glad you like the spontaneous element in these duels! I am such a planner, it's a good challenge for me not to plan, ha ha. *smiles* I'll see what new information Vincent can come up with about how Sebastian lives his life. ~Z

S 22Apr2013
I'm not sure what you meant with "allora io vi accompagno alle metropolitana".

Z 26Apr2013
But you have intuited my hopeful meaning very well. I wished to indicate that Vincent will guide or lead Catherine to the subways and use the trains to get to Times Square. Accompagno is more gentlemanly, yes? ~Z

S 22Apr2013
ESEGUIRE è transitivo. Richiede il complemento oggetto. Se vuoi un corrispondente di PERFORM che non sia transitivo puoi usare ESIBIRSI (riflessivo).

Z 26Apr2013
Grazie. Hmmm. Credo di aver bisogno di un dizionario con migliori diagrammi verbi. ~Z

S 18May2013
I'm not sure what you mean with Rimase da solo sulla piattaforma in attesa del prossimo treno. I suppose that you mean that Sebastian was there all alone, waiting, and I'm correcting the phrase this way. S

Z 18May2013
Yes! Yes, that is it. And I had a terrible time trying to organize that phrasing. Thanks! ~Z

S 18May2013
Sebastian's line is in an Italian redundant and exaggerated. Not his normal speech, of course, but appropriate as a first greeting from his "persona", I think. S

Z 22May2013
Forse le rose di stoffa odore meglio questa volta? *smiiiile* ~Z

S 25May2013
Profumo va benissimo. I am delighted, Zara. Of course your writing is not perfect yet, but the "sound" is. You are GOOD! If you have questions about my corrections, please ask. Fluent Italian does not have specific rules I can clearly state. S

Z 25May2013
Thank you, dear friend. You are encouraging. And I know it is no surprise, but I like the way your Sebastian speaks. Dramatic but smooth. Just so you know what I think. *smile* ~Z

S 27May2013
This sounds VERY nice. Now, Sebastian's line is fine and I giggled, but I fear I don't exactly understand what you mean in the descriptive part. Would you write it in English please? And... I had written my paragraph in Lucy's duel, but then played with "undo" and it disappeared, not way to "re-do" it, right? Sigh. Trying to remember it. Rats. S

Z 27May2013
Ack. At some time or another, every computerized method I've ever used has "eaten" something I've written. My sympathies! I posted my English notion of the paragraph. ~Z

S 29May2013
What's an access door? And why she nodded toward it? In my previous paragraph I wrote that C has no idea where V might be. Just being sure we are at the same page. Or should I find myself a reasonable explanation for her nodding? - which may be part of the game, of course. *S

Z 29May2013
Apologies for giving so little in the way of ingredients for story progression. I was thinking an access door would be an entrance which maintenance crews might use to perform their work in the subway tunnels (perhaps there is a better name for such an egress?), and that it would be some distance away from the main platform and common pedestrian traffic (perhaps there is a better landmark than a door?)...and so a place where Catherine and Sebastian might talk together with a little more privacy. ~Z

S 30May2013
Perfect! Yes, I think it may be "porta di servizio". =giggle= I am having SO much fun... *S

Z 30May2013
Excellent. *smiles* And I have always loved the way Sebastian is both playful and wise. He brings an energetic charm to our little tale. ~Z

Z 01June2013
For the first time, I am drawing a blank. The setting has me at a loss...I'm not sure what destinations are feasible, nor how to bring the three characters together. I confess I have ridden a subway train only once, in London, when I was 18. I have no notion for Catherine and Sebastian beyond standing together beside that door. Any ideas? ~Z

Return to “WD2 - talks”